Your home’s windows are meant to last for years, but everything has a life expectancy and your windows are no different.
8 signs that it’s time to replace your windows
You can generally expect your windows to last for 20 to 25 years when properly installed and maintained. When it’s time to replace your windows you’ll notice some of the following warning signs:
- Problems opening and closing your windows
- Difficulties properly locking and securing your window
- Condensation or fog between the panes
- Cold drafts in the winter and warm drafts in the summer
- Mold and mildew around the window frames
- Discolored or warped frames
- Broken components, like locks and cranks
- Water leaks inside, around the windows, especially during storms
Given how long windows should last, technology and styles have probably changed since your last window replacement. Replacing old windows will not only address any of the issues listed above, but will also come with a few added perks, such as an updated look to your home as well as improved energy efficiency.
7 benefits of installing new windows
Replacing your home’s windows may seem like a costly undertaking, but there are many benefits that make it a worthwhile investment. Some of the benefits will be immediate, while others might take months or a few years to notice.
- Improved indoor comfort: New windows are better at keeping the temperatures outside from coming inside. With professional installation and sealing, water damage and leaks will no longer be an issue.
- Lower energy costs: If you opt to buy ENERGY STAR® rated windows, it’s estimated that homeowners save an average of 12% off their energy bill.
- Added value and curb appeal: New vinyl windows add value to your home. Remodeling’s 2020 Cost vs Value Report estimates that new vinyl windows will add $12,761 to your home at resale, representing 72.3% in recouped costs. Even if you’re not selling your home in the foreseeable future, the enhanced curb appeal and improved look inside are well worth the undertaking.
- Less time spent on maintenance: Windows are generally designed better now to ensure they’re easier and safer to clean. You also won’t have to spend any time painting your new vinyl windows as there is no need for any touch ups each year.
- Outside noise kept to a minimum: New windows help to reduce sounds from the exterior to the interior and vice-versa.
- Improved home safety and security: New windows will be easy to open in an emergency. They’ll also be more difficult to break into with better latches and locks.
- Windows that suit your needs: You don’t have to stick to the same style of window. You can choose replacements that are double-hung (open up and down), sliders (open side to side), or casement windows (which uses a crank to open from one side). For windows that don’t open, like picture windows, you can choose from various shapes.
Window installation is a home project that’s often left to an expert. It requires the expertise, skill, knowledge, and time of a professional, someone who knows the ins and outs of window installations. That’s where Fleet Farm SERVICEfinder can help you.
Get a free, no obligation quote for replacing your windows
When it’s time to replace your windows, you can trust Fleet Farm’s SERVICEfinder window installation professionals to be knowledgeable and skilled experts. They are local contractors in your community who have been reviewed and approved, so you can be confident you’re receiving top-quality workmanship.