Updating the look of your kitchen can be a major undertaking. But it doesn’t have to be - if you reface your kitchen cabinets you can refresh the look of your kitchen without the mess, time, or cost of a kitchen renovation.
What is kitchen cabinet refacing?
Refacing involves taking your current cabinets and giving them a new look by applying a veneer over the cabinet’s surfaces, including the doors, drawers, and side panels. Your cabinet hardware (handles, hinges, and knobs) can also be replaced.
Refacing your kitchen cabinets works best when you’re satisfied with your kitchen’s current layout and functionality. It easily extends the life of your current cabinets and it’s a less expensive option than installing new cabinets.
What are the benefits of refacing kitchen cabinets?
There are many benefits to refacing your kitchen cabinets:
- Professional installation often takes just a couple of days.
- There is no plumbing or electrical work required.
- It’s an easy way to spruce up the look of your cabinets.
- There’s no need for new flooring, backsplashes, or painting.
- Refacing is an environmentally-friendly option as you’re making use of materials that are still in good condition.
Kitchen cabinet refacing ideas and styles
If the only thing wrong with your cabinets is that they’re dated, refacing them will prolong their usefulness.
Laminate refacing is one of the most popular materials available and comes in a wide variety of colors and styles. It’s also durable and affordable.
What is the average cost of kitchen cabinet refacing?
There are many factors that affect how much it costs to reface your kitchen cabinets. A kitchen cabinet refacing cost estimate will depend on details like:
- The number of cabinets being refaced
- The size of the doors, drawers, and side panels
- The style and design of the refacing chosen
- The refacing material
- Whether new hardware is needed (e.g. hinges and handles)
Compared to replacing your kitchen cabinets, refacing is usually the cheaper option. The average cost of a kitchen cabinet refacing is about 30% to 50% less than replacing them. It’s great value for your money.
Get a kitchen cabinet refacing cost estimate today
When you’re ready, your local SERVICEfinder contractor will go over your refacing kitchen cabinet ideas and options with you, and provide a cost estimate to fit your family’s budget.